The Center City Initiative is an effort among multiple organizations, residents, and stakeholders in the Evansville area to make the urban core of the city a place that residents are proud to call home. There are five pillars for development: Faith, Economic Improvement, Health & Wellness, Youth & Education, and Culture/Entertainment. Through the work of the Faith pillar, the concept for a community youth ministry emerged with the goal of strengthening youth ministry within partner churches as well as reaching young people in the area that do not know Christ or attend church.
The Community Youth Pastor is a Christian leader who facilitates a collaborative youth ministry with church partners in the center city of Evansville. The youth pastor’s main goal is to help youth grow in their faith, love, and service to God and others. He or She plans and implements various programs and activities that foster spiritual formation, discipleship, evangelism, and outreach among youth in a predominantly African American urban setting.
- Lead and coordinate the Center City youth ministry for youth and young adults (ages 3 to 25yrs) by serving and supporting the youth departments of churches within the partnership.
- Identify opportunities to integrate/include youth into the overall mission and vision of the church.
- Facilitate intergenerational interaction between various groups.
- Teach and preach the Bible to youth in relevant and engaging ways, using appropriate curriculum, materials, and social media interaction.
- Stay updated on current trends, issues, and best practices in youth ministry and culture to recommend programming for churches to increase youth participation.
- Organize and facilitate youth events, such as youth rally, retreats, camps, mission trips, service projects, and social gatherings with church partners to address real issues youth are facing.
- Recruit, train, and support adult volunteers who serve as mentors, teachers, and leaders for the youth to ensure we meet the needs of youth within the local church.
- Communicate and collaborate with the Center City Youth Ministry pastors and Advisory board, and other stakeholders regarding the vision, goals, and needs of the youth ministry.
- Provide appropriate pastoral care and counseling to youth and their families, as needed through a referral source.
- Maintain all files/paperwork for all programs and attendees.
- Submit appropriate reports and data in a timely manner.
- Be a good steward of resources.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A personal and growing relationship with Jesus Christ, evidenced by a commitment to prayer, Bible study, and church involvement.
- A passion and calling for ministering to youth and their families, with a clear understanding of the challenges and opportunities they face.
- A strong knowledge of the Bible and Christian theology, and the ability to apply them to youth ministry contexts.
- A creative and innovative approach to teaching, programming, and outreach, with a willingness to try new things and learn from feedback.
- A team player who can work well with others.
- A self-starter who can work independently and take initiative.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills, with attention to detail and follow-through.
- A flexible and adaptable attitude and a positive outlook.
- High School Diploma or Equivalency
- Valid Driver’s License
- Ability to pass a national background check and drug screening.
- Three professional or non-related character references will need to be submitted.
- A bachelor’s degree in youth ministry, biblical studies, or a related field.
- Experience in leading and developing a youth ministry in a church setting.
- $45,000-$55,000 including benefits
Memorial Community Development Corp
645 Connie Robinson Way
Evansville, IN 47713