FacultyNewsStaff News

Reflecting on a Semester of Working from Home

By December 17, 2020October 29th, 2021No Comments
Back to News →

Clockwise, from top left: Rev. Ayanna Garrett, Melissa Trahyn, Rev. Jim Farrer, and Kishundra King

This past summer and fall, CTS welcomed four new members to its staff and faculty: Rev. Ayanna Garrett, Associate Dean of Student Life; Melissa Trahyn, Education Technology Specialist; Rev. Jim Farrer, Director of United Methodist Studies; and Kishundra King, Visiting Instructor of Pastoral Theology and Care.

Having joined CTS during the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, when the seminary’s buildings are closed and everyone is working remotely, their time in the community has been somewhat unusual. We checked in with them to hear more about their experiences over the past semester.

Rev. Garrett, who works closely with students and faculty to provide pastoral care and student support, said that, despite the unusual circumstances, “my colleagues have welcomed me and my gifts with open arms. I consider my work at CTS ministry, it is meaningful and fulfilling work.” Similarly, King, who just finished her first semester teaching at CTS, shared that “Joining any community during a pandemic would be challenging, but the CTS community has been so welcoming and has helped ease my transition.”

Rev. Farrer, who mentors students pursing ordination in the United Methodist Church, explained that connecting with students has been more difficult because of the pandemic, but he is grateful for the interactions he has been able to have online. He said that using technology for staff meetings, student groups, and one-on-one communications “has given me a great opportunity to build more connections.”

Working with faculty members to develop and implement integrated technology for classroom use, Trahyn talked about how getting to know people online takes more patience and intentionality, which she is learning along the way. On a similar note, Rev. Garrett said that, “the pandemic has taught me to be a better listener, to not be afraid to be creative, and it has certainly increased my faith.”

King remarked that she has especially enjoyed the opportunity to attend online community events, such as the showing of Las Posadas and the Hope and Healing community care service.

Looking ahead to a time without the restrictions of the pandemic, all four said they were excited to spend more time with their new colleagues and to get to know students better. Echoing the sentiments of her colleagues, Trahyn said, “I look forward to the day when we can meet each other face-to-face and share a meal, a coffee, or a laugh.”