Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
One of two counseling degrees offered at CTS, the Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (MACMHC) provides professional counseling preparation and spiritual/theological integration for mental health counselors, pastoral psychotherapists, and spiritual care specialists. The coursework provides a unique blend of clinical insight and spiritual wisdom that results in the ability to serve the client as a whole person—mentally, emotionally and spiritually.
A distinct advantage of study at the CTS Counseling Center is that students may conveniently complete their practicum hours on campus, without the need to go elsewhere for this portion of the degree requirement. It also offers a residency for graduates as they prepare to complete clinical hour requirements to obtain state licensure. Many students have formed a network of classmates, instructors and CTS staff that benefits them over their lifetime.
- MACMHC students are exposed to a wide variety of clinical situations including crisis and trauma counseling; in-depth psychoanalytically oriented psychotherapy with individuals who want a change in life beyond the important initial relief of symptoms; counseling with children, teens, couples and families; addictions counseling; group counseling; depression screenings and the development of psychoeducational groups.
- Among the many features of the CTS state of the art counseling facility is the Play Therapy Area. This offers students a unique opportunity to nurture healing in children—a rewarding, intuitive process that can help children in ways regular therapy cannot.
- The MACMHC degree meets academic requirements for licensure as a mental health counselor in Indiana. Licensure reciprocity agreements between states often apply.
- The MACMHC degree prepares students for certified membership in the American Association of Pastoral Counselors. It is guided by CACREP standards and the professional orientation of the American Counseling Association (ACA).
- Spanish-speaking students may opt to provide therapy for our Spanish-speaking clients, enlarging the student’s client base while providing an immersive opportunity to grow exponentially in the language. This is attractive to future employers.