NewsStaff News

Rev. Mary Harris, Dean of Students, Retires

By January 7, 2020October 29th, 2021No Comments
Back to News →

Dean of Students, Rev. Mary HarrisFor nearly 20 years, the Rev. Mary Harris, Dean of Students, has been a central figure in the life of Christian Theological Seminary. Upon returning from Christmas break, she notified the Seminary that she would be retiring at the beginning of February.

Rev. Harris began working at CTS on June 15, 2000, as Church and Alumni Relations Director in the Seminary Advancement Department. In 2002, she became the Interim Director of Admissions, eventually becoming the Director of Admissions. After two years in that position, Rev. Harris was promoted to Associate Dean for Student services, a position she held for 11 years. In 2012, Rev. Harris was promoted to Dean of Students, where she has served as chaplain, advocate, counselor, prayer partner, and supporter of students and alumni/ae.

When asked her about her plans for retirement, Dean Harris shared,

My plans for retirement include travel to the ancestral homelands of Nancy’s and my own which are England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland and Germany. In addition, I will be writing a book about my ancestors entitled Waking Up to Dixie: Discovering My Southern Heritage. My daughter and her family are relocating to my hometown of Charleston, WV this June so we will also be assisting their transition. Finally, I have resumed my walking schedule of a few years ago so I am hoping to be in better health as a result.

On January 28th, faculty, staff, alumni and friends gathered to thank Dean Harris for her many years of service to CTS. President Mellott announced that, in her honor, the Harris Student Emergency Fund had been created. Generations of students and alumni have been graced by the work and kindness of Dean Harris. She has been a valuable resource and colleague for faculty and staff and the Seminary is grateful to her and for the care that she has taken in serving our students.

You can make a gift in support of the Harris Fund here. On the giving form, select “Other” as the designation and type “Harris Student Emergency Fund.”