Back to News →

Since the eighth grade, Andrea Espinoza Cruz knew she wanted to be a therapist. So, after graduating college, her next goal was grad school for her Master’s in Marriage and Family Therapy (MAMFT). As a first generation Latina-Mexican in America, Cruz was even more determined to see her dream come true—and CTS was the natural choice to pursue her MAMFT.  

“I chose CTS because I was really intrigued by the integration of spirituality and clinical work,” she shares. “Also, in general at CTS, I love how open-minded everybody is and how everybody’s cheering you on—everybody’s your cheerleader.” 

The fact that CTS is located in Indianapolis was a plus since Cruz wanted to stay close to family. On top of that, the financial support she received from CTS made it all possible.  

“I was the recipient of a scholarship,” she says. “I received a full ride and then had the opportunity to meet my donors. I love how transparent CTS is about the program and who the donors are. That was a really positive experience.” 

In addition to the financial support, Cruz has appreciated all the academic support—especially as she strives to make a difference in her community. 

“Only 4% of Latinas achieve master’s degrees, so I take a lot of pride in that. I hope to leave a mark as a Latina and as a person of color, she says. “As a Latina, it’s important that I do this work for my community. My whole goal and drive is to bridge that gap, as well as to encourage other Latinos to seek these types of careers.” 

Now, Cruz is on track to graduate in 2024, and she feels ready for the next step. 

“CTS has prepared me for life outside of CTS. I recently just discovered how to find my voice and how to take space—whether it be a classroom, a clinical setting, working with my supervisors, or some other space,”
– Andrea Espinoza Cruz

“CTS has prepared me for life outside of CTS. I recently just discovered how to find my voice and how to take space—whether it be a classroom, a clinical setting, working with my supervisors, or some other space,” Cruz says.  

She is currently completing her practicum as an intern at the CTS Counseling Center where she has the opportunity to provide counseling sessions under the supervision of CTS faculty. 

“Once I go out in the field, I have had that experience with different supervisors giving me feedback, helping me with different theories and interventions,” she says. 

If you are interested in pursuing a graduate counseling degree at CTS like Andrea did, click here to apply. Deadline for Fall 2023 applications is July 31.