Reports to: Lead Pastor (will also receive ministry direction from In Pillar Leader)
Mission: To boldly make and nurture disciples of Jesus Christ.
Summary of the Position: The Director of Youth Ministry is to provide oversight, leadership, development, and direction for all youth ministry programming, spiritual formation, and volunteer servants at Miami Whitewater UMC, grades 6-12.
Job Description and Responsibilities
- Committed follower of Jesus Christ, who feels a call to serve God in the area of youth ministry.
- Models high standards reflective of a disciple of Jesus Christ in personal, family, and devotional life.
- Knowledge of the Bible and an ability to teach it and apply it in a way that relates to teenagers.
- Passion for youth ministries and a desire to see youth come to Christ and grow in their faith.
- Ability to reach out, connect, and relate with youth and their parents/caregivers.
- Awareness of the concerns, needs, interest, and feelings of teenagers and their families.
- Love for youth and their families.
- Provide vision, strategy, and development for the growth of church youth and family ministries.
- Oversee all programming, curriculum selection, and ministry for youth in grades 6-12, including Sunday mornings, youth group, the Transformed Youth Center, and other special events.
- Create environments, activities, and programming for teenagers that will facilitate learning and encourage outreach to and spiritual growth among youth grades 6-12.
- Develop and maintain an annual strategy (MAP) for reaching & assimilating new youth and families.
- Develop and build positive relationships with youth and parents outside the congregation.
- Find ways to actively be involved in the Jr. and Sr. High Schools and school related events.
- Find creative ways to move spiritual formation beyond the church walls to the home.
- Plan and oversee special events such as lock-ins, concerts, Summer Bash, Harvest Carnival, mission trips, youth camps, service/outreach opportunities, and other family and/or youth related events.
- Advocate for youth and their concerns at Miami Whitewater and in the community.
- Facilitate youth participation in the full life of the church.
- Lead or coordinate an annual confirmation classes as needed.
- Recruit, train, schedule, and lead teams of volunteer servants.
- Work with other church ministries to develop programming that targets parents of youth.
- Lead youth fundraising efforts, apply for youth project grants, and oversee said grants.
- Network with local youth ministries, other youth ministry leaders, and community organizations.
- Provide regular communication/reports to the Lead Pastor, In Pillar Leader, and the congregation.
- Attend staff meetings, leadership meetings, and annual leadership retreats.
- Must demonstrate in their practice of ministry and their personal life a commitment to the core values, mission, vision, and theology of Miami Whitewater.
- All other duties as assigned by the Lead Pastor.
Specific Skills and Abilities Required
- Team player, capable of working under authority.
- Outgoing and friendly personality.
Strong people skills.
- Strong organizational and leadership skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- Ability to build and lead volunteer teams.
- Desire to learn, grow, and adapt.
- Self-motivated with excellent time management skills.
- Flexible to the demands of ministry.
- Positive witness to the church in the community.
- Able to fundraise, write grant applications, and work within the constraints of the church budget.
- Able to pass a background check and adhere to church Safe Sanctuary policies.
- Associate Degree in youth ministry, family ministry, education, or other related field (preferred).
- 2 years’ experience in a ministry setting (preferred)
Submit resume and application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will be considered as they arrive
|Job Category||Church, Youth|
|Salary||Reviewed annually; depends on experience and job performance|