John Knox Presbyterian Church is a 230 member church located on the west side of Indianapolis. We have a dynamic, mature, incredible group of middle school and high school youth who have a passion to deepen their faith and serve as Christ’s disciples. Our congregation strives to serve Christ in our church and in our community by being an Open. Caring. Community. Please see more about us by viewing our website at http://www.johnknox.org.
The Director of Youth Ministries is the staff person who will provide leadership of the ministry to the middle school and high school age youth of the church and their parents, including a program of fellowship, worship and mission.
It is a part-time position of 12 hours a week, including preparation and planning, at times agreed upon with the Director of Christian Education/Pastoral Assistant.
Subject to the provisions of the Personnel Policies and Procedures of the John Knox Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).
The Director of Christian Education/Pastoral Assistant and the Personnel Team will conduct reviews and are available as needed for assistance and concerns.
- Provide spiritual leadership for our middle and high school youth through planning and participating in church youth activities, including weekly church school classes and monthly youth group meetings.
- Provide opportunities for spiritual growth and fellowship through bible studies, worship, mission, retreats, and recreation.
- Meet with youth outside of church grounds by mentoring and fostering positive relationships. Attend functions youth participate in outside of the church.
- Contribute to and support the overall ministry of the church, including participation and attendance at Sunday morning worship services.
- Assimilate new youth into the youth program and follow-up with youth visiting the church and/or youth programs.
- Assist in selecting curriculum for church school classes on Sunday morning.
- Meet with and support the events and ministries of the Education Team.
- Encourage youth participation in the church: Youth elders, worship participation, Youth Sunday, ushering and greeting, Children in Worship, VBS, Easter Festival, Fall Festival, Community Picnic, etc.
- Assist with teaching the confirmation class.
- Connect with another youth group in our Presbytery or community and plan an activity where both groups can participate together.
- Track expenditures and maintain the youth budget.
- Perform other duties assigned by the Pastor, Director of Christian Education/Pastoral Assistant, or Session.
- Attend annual child protection policy training and insure that all background checks have been conducted on all parent volunteers.
- Plan and oversee an annual mission trip or youth conference.
- Establish and sustain a safe, welcoming, and trusting environment.
- Coordinate communication about youth ministries at the church, including: maintain an up-to-date annual youth ministry calendar; provide monthly communication to youth and their families; share updates in the monthly newsletter to the congregation; prepare an annual report of youth ministry for the annual congregational meeting.
- Organize and assist with fundraising events for summer mission trip.
- Committed Disciple of Jesus Christ.
- Ability to connect with and communicate well with youth.
- Ability to work independently and self-motivated.
- An enthusiastic and caring attitude.
- A creative leader of youth.
- Flexibility and sound judgment.
- Ability to recruit and lead adult leaders.
- Ability to support the mission of John Knox Presbyterian Church.
- Experience in youth ministry preferred.
- Reformed theology preferred.
If interested, please submit resume with references to Lisa Crismore, Director of Christian Education/Pastoral Assistant, at email@example.com.
For more information, please contact Lisa Crismore (firstname.lastname@example.org; 317-291-0308 (office); 317-910-7429 (cell)).
|Job Category||Church, Youth|
|Hours per week||12 Hours|