The Director of Children and Youth Music is accountable to the Session through the Personnel Committee and serves under the direction of the Director of Music and Fine Arts and the Senior Pastor/Head of Staff of Second Presbyterian Church.
- Holds and demonstrates Christian values and is comfortable sharing their Christian faith with children and adults
- Is highly creative and passionate about working with children and youth
- Possesses the ability to work effectively as a member of a large staff
- Exhibits excellent planning, organizational and communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree in vocal music or music education with specific study in children’s and youth voices;
- 3-5 years successful experience teaching music or directing children’s music program
- Orff or Kodály certification preferred Experience working in a church setting preferred
- Experience supervising staff preferred
The Director of Children and Youth Music (Pre-K through 12th grade) is a full-time (32 hour/week) position. The position has the following responsibilities:
- Engender, encourage and example a love of God, a love of church, and a love for music and the arts as a means of public worship and private devotion.
- Educate parents, directors, church staff and congregation as to the purpose, power and meaning of Children and Youth Music Ministry.
- Develop a progressive curriculum for the children’s choir program.
- Provide musical and liturgical guidance for Children’s Choir Directors.
- Establish relationships with children, youth and families by being actively involved during Sunday and Wednesday regular programs.
- Develop opportunities and prepare youth musicians (6th-12th grade), both vocal and instrumental, for participation in worship and for sharing their artistic gifts in other contexts of ministry. This may include ensembles for chorus, handbells, orchestra, etc., depending on candidate’s expertise.
- Conduct the elementary choirs (2nd-5th grade).
- Recruit, train, and oversee choir directors for younger choirs.
- In cooperation with the Organist/Assistant Director of Music and Fine Arts, secure and equip accompanists for all children’s choirs.
- Recruit volunteer parent assistants for each choir.
- Initiate and coordinate opportunities for outreach events for each choir.
- Maintain Children and Youth Music Ministry budget, in collaboration with the Director of Music and Fine Arts.
- Purchase appropriate music and instructional materials for children and youth music program.
- Plan and execute the spring concert or musical.
- Serve as the music leader of Vacation Bible School, with the assistance of volunteers.
- Conduct other choirs and ensembles as assigned, which may include leading sectional rehearsals for the Sanctuary Choir and acting as Substitute Director of the Summer Choir.
- Coordinate all activities of Second Presbyterian Children’s Choir and Youth Music program.
- Communicate regularly with choir students and families through monthly newsletters, bulletin board, etc.
- Develop and maintain Children and Youth Music website page.
- Create and distribute Children’s Choir and Youth Music Handbooks, as needed.
- Recruit and oversee the volunteer Children/Youth Music Librarian(s).
- Meet regularly with the Children and Youth Music Advisory Teams.
- Meet regularly with the Choir School faculty for training, planning and general organizational tasks.
- Meet regularly with the Director of Music, the Music Department Staff, and the Music and Fine Arts Ministry Team.
- Serve as liaison between the Music and Fine Arts Department, Youth and Christian Education staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Music and Fine Arts.
Full Time (32 hours/week) with benefits; salary range: $34-40K/year
Coordinator for Communications and Outreach
|Job Category||Children, Music|
|Salary||salary range: $34-40K/year|