Zionsville Christian Church (ZCC) is a historic congregation in the dynamic, suburban community of Zionsville, IN. Over 200 individuals comprise the congregation’s ministry and mission of ZCC.
ZCC is part of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) denomination which has a long commitment to unity in diversity, social justice, and freedom and diversity of thought (a non-doctrinal approach to faith).
We believe that when values are practiced, we are closer to living like Jesus. We know that the way we behave towards one another is the fullest expression of what we believe. A progressive, missional church, ZCC emphasizes the following values:
- Radical Inclusivity
- Courageous Compassion
- Unrelenting Love
- Open, Intelligent, and Curious Faith
- Mission First
Director/Minister of Faith Formation
Faith Formation is at the heart of what the Christian life is all about. In many ways, we engage in the practices of our daily lives and the rituals of our faith communities – through worship, mission, working for justice and peace, evangelism, and education – so that our faith may be nurtured, enlivened, sustained, and formed.
A helpful understanding of faith formation is: “an engaged process of learning and practice integrated throughout all aspects of congregational and daily life” (UCC). This definition highlights the initiative and action we must take in our own faith formation. In essence, we become clay so that we are formed and transformed by the Holy and by one another. But throughout all of our doing and being, we are reminded that God’s “hands” are continually present in our efforts to gain both “head” knowledge found in education and learning and “heart” wisdom discovered through prayer, ritual, and practice.
It is fitting to say that faith formation is at the heart of what our living and being is all about… the search… the journey of formation and transformation.
What we hope to shape and form in the lives of those who search through and with ZCC that all might be empowered and equipped to grow in their relationship with God through relationships and programs. Our hope is that individuals might discover a faith that engages the “head and heart” and is good for the world. We will be intentional about creating open spaces for individuals to intentionally wonder, question and dialogue, and practice compassionate, openhearted living. Our goal is connect people with one another and God, not through providing dogmatic answers, but through the development and facilitation of opportunities for fearless conversations with one another and God.
The Minister/Director of Faith Formation will provide dynamic and effective leadership in the area of faith formation and spiritual development for all congregants, of all ages and stages, in collaborative relationship with the Senior Minister, the Grow Ministry Team leaders, and volunteers in a direction consistent with Disciples Identity, ZCC Core Values, and the ZCC Vision.
Reporting to the Senior Minister, the Director/Minister of Faith Formation will be responsible for taking the lead in cultivating a culture of curiosity and spiritual growth. (The Director/Minister of Faith Formation will also have the role of leading the youth group in faith formation and discipleship by acting as their primary leader (investing approximately 25% of his/her time in this ministry).
As a result of hiring a Director/Minister of Faith Formation, ZCC anticipates the following outcomes within the life of the congregation:
- Congregants who are empowered and equipped to grow in their relationship with God through relationships and programs.
- Congregants who can identify a sense of personal and communal missional purpose and whose faith increasingly engages the community and the world- creating a deep sense of connecting the “being” with “doing”
- GROW Team leaders and volunteers are well-supported and empowered.
- Environments, programs, and relationships which empower people at various stages in their faith journey to explore paths of spiritual growth.
- Develops, plans, and offers oversight of curriculum for congregants in all stages of faith development
- Develops, plans, facilitates, and offers oversight of a youth ministry that reflects the vision and values of ZCC
- Recruits, trains, supports, develops, and organizes program leaders and volunteers- providing volunteers with appropriate resources for faith formation programs, such as curriculum and ministry initiatives
- Works with Senior Minister and GROW Team leaders to develop multi-generational programs
- Manages faith formation budget, expenses, records, and supplies
- Creates informative and inspiring publicity for ZCC and beyond
- Works collaboratively with Senior Minister and GROW Team to evaluate existing programs and developing future goals, as well as creation of new program and relationship building opportunities
- Develops new initiatives conducive to faith formation and spiritual development
- Attends meetings of the GROW Team, and with Senior Minister and staff
- Collaborates with staff and ministry team leaders to incorporate faith formation/spiritual development themes across the spectrum of ZCC’s ministry
- Communicates and coordinates with other Ministry Teams, as needed
- Attends appropriate trainings, conferences, workshops that support his/her work and professional development
The overarching task and responsibility of the Director/Minister of Faith Formation is to develop, plan, organize, and offer oversight of Faith Formation and Relationship Building programming, understanding that the purpose/point is not to create programming, but that through the programming, people might find a deeper connection with God and one another.
- The candidate should have a background in Education, and/or stages of human development;
- The candidate does not need to have experience within the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), but the candidate should be comfortable with and committed to the denomination and congregation’s principles and core values;
- A background in Ministry is not required.
- Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience;
- Work schedule is anticipated to be 40 hours per week, but the specific hours worked are flexible based on the needs of ZCC and the needs of the candidate;
- Working in a creative environment;
- Four weeks (20 days) of vacation time allowed in the first year.
|Job Category||Church, Faith Formation|
|Salary||Negotiable and Competitive.|