Children’s Minister /Early Childhood Chaplain
The role of the Children’s Minister at Trinity Church and Early Childhood Chaplain at St. Richard’s Episcopal School is grounded in the baptismal covenant set forth in the Book of Common Prayer [pp. 304-305], with special attention to seeing that children of Trinity are “brought up in the Christian faith and life,” enabling every child to “grow into the full stature of Christ” [p. 302] and inviting all parishioners to use their gifts and joy to be partners in the mission of our church. Trinity is a lively and growing Episcopal church with a robust community of families. St. Richard’s is its contiguous partner institution—a PreK-8 Episcopal School with an enrollment of approximately 350.
Time: Part-time, 15-19 hours/week. Reports to Rector and/or Associate Rector for Formation.
Position Summary: The Children’s Minister will provide direction in the development, implementation, and evaluation of the Sunday school curriculum for nursery and ages 3 through 7th grade as well as Early Childhood Chapels for St. Richard’s School; identify and prepare volunteer Sunday school teachers; provide ongoing development of teachers and support of parents and families; work effectively with the Christian education staff team. The Children’s Minister will conduct or coordinate “Children’s Liturgy of the Word” during the central Sunday service at Trinity Church, as well as Early Childhood Chapel services one morning a week for PreK, JK, and Kindergarten classes at St. Richard’s School
Christian Education Staff Team: The Director, Formation Associate/School Chaplain and
Youth & Parish Life Coordinator constitute Trinity’s core Christian education staff team and
together are responsible for a well-coordinated overall ministry of Christian education for all
ages which includes opportunities for joy-filled intergenerational teaching, learning, and spiritual growth.
Diversity: Trinity and St. Richard’s are passionate about diversity. We encourage people of color and LGBTQ individuals to apply for this position.
Trinity Church (Approx. 15 hours/ week)
• Develop and maintain an eclectic curriculum for Sunday school, building upon the Godly Play approach with young children and incorporating age-appropriate strategies for older children.
• Recruit, train and provide administrative support for teachers for Sunday School and leaders for other children’s programs.
• Provide resources and materials for quiet children’s activities during worship, and lead or coordinate Children’s Liturgy of the Word, an age-appropriate liturgy for PreK-4th Graders during the first portion of the Sunday Service.
• Create community-building and service opportunities for Children and parents
• Oversee childcare for parish, especially hiring and support of Sunday nursery workers.
• Prepare and manage the children’s ministries budget as part of the annual parish budgeting process.
• Prepare articles and other items for the parish newsletter, website and other materials to educate parishioners on opportunities for involvement children’s ministries.
• During Summer months, when Sunday School is on hiatus, coordinate outdoor family-friendly “Garden Service.”
• Continue development of knowledge and skills through continuing education.
• Represent Trinity Church in ecumenical, community, diocesan and national meetings and events when appropriate.
• Other duties as negotiated with the Rector.
St. Richard’s Episcopal School (Approx. 4 hours/ week, school year only)
• With oversight by the School Chaplain, lead Early Childhood Division Chapels for St. Richard’s School (2-3 sections).
• As appropriate, assist with other St. Richard’s Chapels and spiritual life.
• Plan ongoing learning, service and fellowship opportunities to connect parish and school communities
Skills and Characteristics
• Lively, contagious Christian faith and love of people, especially children and youth
• Ability to teach, preach, write, and speak clearly and compellingly, especially for children
• Ability to lead and manage groups; to organize, manage, and carry out multiple tasks under a tight schedule; and to work effectively and harmoniously with others
• Flexibility and a sense of humor amid changing situations and priorities
• Experience and facility with Episcopal liturgy and traditions
• Willingness to be creative, collaborative eclectic and flexible in application of methodology
• Ability to use technology, specifically Google, Microsoft Office and Social Media platforms, and willingness to learn and introduce new technologies
Interested applicants should submit Cover Page, Resume, and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org. With questions regarding the position, please call Trinity Episcopal Church and ask for either the Rector or Father Ben Anthony, Associate Rector and School Chaplain.
|Job Category||Children, Church, Formation|
|Salary||$20/hour, 15-19 hours/week|