Director of Family Ministries
Anderson First United Methodist Church
Downtown and Davis Park
Position Type: Full-Time
Employee Workplace: 1215 Jackson Street and 4507 Nichol Avenue, Anderson
Accountable to: Senior Pastor and Staff-Parish Relations Committee
Position Summary: The Director of Family Ministries is responsible for development, administration, supervision, and leadership of programs for children, youth and families in the areas of Christian education, discipleship, mission, and outreach.
- Profess Jesus Christ as personal Lord and Savior
- Commitment to God-honoring professionalism, personal spiritual growth, and healthy lifestyle consistent with the Social Principles of the United Methodist Church
- Consider this position a life ministry, not just a job
- Model standards and expectations of church leaders within our fellowship, including worship attendance, small group participation, lifestyle of generosity, and serving out of call and giftedness
- Work creatively, think strategically, and move ministries forward
- Practice team-based leadership and exhibit strong relational skills with people of all ages and situations
- Maintain familiarity with current Christian education and spiritual development curriculum for all ages.
- Possess exceptional written and oral communication and organizational skills
- Possess working knowledge of social media for communication with youth, parents, and families.
- Able to create and manage a budget.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Minimum of three years of related experience required.
- Leadership through building and oversight of the Family Ministry Team and its members, in alignment with mission and vision of Anderson First UMC.
- Providing general direction, guidance and vision for Christian education such as Sunday school, youth fellowship, Bible studies, prayer groups and special programs, at times coordinating with other committees.
- Overseeing planning, coordination, volunteer recruitment and training for activities including seasonal activities (Lent/ Easter, Summer Program, Fall Festival and Advent/ Christmas).
- Recruiting and providing general direction, guidance, and vision for the youth ministry with a focus on empowering youth leadership.
- Recruiting and providing general direction, guidance, and vision for children’s ministry.
- Creating, implementing and administering appropriate policies, procedures and rules to ensure the safety of all persons.
- Administration of children and youth ministry tasks including performance of volunteer background checks, evaluation and purchase of appropriate resources and educational materials including curriculums and supplies.
- Establishing and using feedback systems for regularly assessing program effectiveness.
- Making recommendations to the Senior Pastor regarding issues that may need to be addressed for the future development of the church ministries.
- Attend and participate in weekly staff meetings
- Contribute to Anderson First UMC communications channels such as monthly newsletter, weekly bulletins, church website, e-NEWS, social media postings.
- Chaperoning or directing youth retreats and mission trips.
Committee and Ministry Team Responsibilities:
- Church Staff Meeting – weekly
- Church Council – quarterly
- Family Ministry Team
Salary and Benefits:
- Negotiable, based on experience