Helene T. Russell
Associate Professor of Theology
Phone: (317) 931-4227
Helene Russell joined the CTS faculty in the Fall of 2002. From 1997 to 2002, she taught religious studies at Allegheny College in Pennsylvania and was previously an instructor at both Albertson College of Idaho and Claremont McKenna College in California.
Russell graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a B.A. in religion and psychology. She received her M.A. in theological studies from the School of Theology at Claremont, California, and her Ph.D. in the philosophy of religion and theology from the Claremont Graduate School.
Russell has published the book The Pluralism Within: a Reconstruction of Theological Anthropology based on Soren Kierkegaard and Luce Irigaray (Mercer University Press, 2010) and edited Creating Women’s Theology: A Movement Engaging Process Thought (Pickwick Publications, 2011). She has also co-edited Augustine and Kierkegaard, with Kim Paffenroth (Wipf and Stock, 2018). The project she is currently undertaking explores the interface between theology, yoga, and embodied spirituality. She seeks to write a “trauma-sensitive theology.” Her other research interests include process feminist theology and ecological spirituality.
Russell has given several professional presentations at the American Academy of Religion on topics such as “The Passion of Faith and the Works of Love,” “Kierkegaard and Process Theology,” “Peer Mentoring,” and “Using Kierkegaard Pedagogically.” Recently, she gave the Chapman College, California, baccalaureate address entitled, “We are One, But Not the Same.” She has also written articles for journals such as the Toronto Journal of Theology and chapters in several books.
Russell also periodically contributes to lectionary projects for both the Process and Faith Center and the Human Rights Campaign. Her article “Out in Scripture” is accessible on the Human Rights Campaign website.
Russell is a practicing Episcopalian, serving at the altar and in the healing ministry of a local congregation.
Sample Articles and Chapters
- “Kierkegaard and Theater of the Oppressed” chapter In Kierkegaard and Political Theology, edited by Roberto Sirvent, book at proof stage Wipf and Stock. 2018.
- “Marjorie Suchocki as a Practical Theologian,” Encounter, 76.1.
- “The Passion of Faith and the Works of Love: Barrett, Kierkegaard and Augustine,” in Toronto Journal of Theology, Spring 2015.
- Preface and Introduction: An Introduction to Religion and Religious Themes in Rock Music, by Carl Olson, 2012
- “The Multiple Self: Whitehead and Kierkegaard,” co-authored with Marjorie Suchocki, chapter in In Search of the Self, Wentzel van Huyssteen and Erik P. Wiebe. Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co, 2011.
- “Positioning Practical Theology,” co-authored with K. Brynolf Lyon, Encounter: Festschrift honoring Edward Wheeler, Spring 2011.
- “Kierkegaard’s Purity of Heart is to Will One Thing: Highlighting Double-Mindedness: Barriers or Beacons?” Doxology: A Journal of Worship Vol. 22 (2005).
- “Kierkegaard’s Dialectical Dance: Spheres of Essence” in Religion and Its Relevance in Post-Modernism: Essays in Honor of Jack C. Verheyden. John S. Park and Gayle D. Beebe, ed. The Edwin Mellen Press, Lewiston, NY, 2001.